Saturday, January 7, 2012

Small Goals

I went for a run yesterday and I decided to try the Galloway method. This is a run/walk approach where you run for some time, then walk for an interval, repeat. My girlfriend uses it all the time and it works well for her so I gave it a shot.

This was my first attempt using this method and something that really stood out to me is how it sets small, attainable goals. "I just have to run for 3 minutes and then I get a break."

When I am working on something big, whether it be a project or training for a big race, I tend to get overwhelmed. When I get overwhelmed, I tend to procrastinate because the end looks so unattainable.

What I've found is that if I set a small goal for myself and succeed at it, I get encouraged to do something a bit bigger. The goal doesn't even necessarily have to be related to the project at hand, just something I can complete relatively easily.

Small goals that work for me tend to be things that help me organize my life. I'll go clean a room of the apartment or organize some photography, a never-ending task.

If I can finish some minor task from my todo list, I get encouraged to do something bigger. Sometimes I just need a success, regardless of how small it is, to get back on track.

I don't know whether I'll use the Galloway method to run all the time, but I'll at least be using it for longer runs because of the recovery benefits of walk breaks. Having small, attainable goals makes longer runs seem easier when you just want to give up.

1 comment:

  1. The Galloway method will always be the way I run now. It's the safest way for me and will allow me to still run. It's cool that you are giving it a try for some of your runs to help your recovery.

    I hear you about taking on goals that seem to be never ending or at least a long ways away from it. I am working on getting myself better organized this year since I too have a lot of those kind of goals or tasks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete