Thursday, January 19, 2012

T-Minus Two Weeks


I can’t believe I’ve got just two weeks to go! These past two weeks have been an absolute roller coaster for me. I’ve had days that I'm absolutely beaming with confidence and ready to take on the world and days where I'm scared that I'm going to fall on my ass. It's amazing how hard it is to pull yourself out of a bad day and reassure yourself that you're good at what you do and you can succeed.

My friends and family have been amazing this entire time. I don't know how many days I've just wanted to go ask for my job back because I'm scared to do this, but they've always reassured me that I'm capable of succeeding and given me the confidence to get me out of my funk. One thing that has really helped me has been a website called the Daily Challenge. They have a “Strengthening Self-Esteem” track that has helped me think through my negativity and really given me ways to help build my confidence.

I have noticed that on days when I'm feeling down, I'm more prone to write and express myself. I wish those two weren't so linked. I want to post more positive stories, but rarely feel the urge to write when I'm having a great day.

Work has been busier than I can ever remember. I've been busting my butt to wrap up all these projects and document them as much as possible before I leave. It's difficult trying to take 13 years of projects and summarizing them in 1 month. It has also made me sad. Every time I have a meeting with someone to show them how to maintain a system that I developed or maintained, I start to miss it.

At home, Kitzzy and I have been going through our budget and finding where we can reduce expenses as much as possible. We've been on this general path for the past two years, identifying ways we can cut spending and downsize, but now we're really putting it into practice. One of the things we're doing is clearing out our storage unit and selling all this stuff that has been sitting idle for far too long. That will be a huge expense off of our shoulders and hopefully a nice little chunk of change in our pockets when we sell the stuff.

On the business front, I've been doing a ton of research about setting one up. This has been a fun experience because it's interesting to learn about and (so far) seems easier than I was expecting. I'm holding off setting one up so I can talk to an accountant about the tax differences between them all, but I've enjoyed learning all this new stuff.

All in all, I'm feeling good about this endeavor (at least most of the time). I don't think it's fully sunk in that I will be on my own in two weeks. It's still something that's just in the back of my mind and it doesn't feel completely real. I still have a lot more work to do getting my feet on the ground, but it's been such a great learning experience so far. I can't thank Kitzzy and Sean enough for helping me through this. On days that I'm feeling crappy, they've both been very reassuring and helped me focus on the positives.

I'm ready for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment